| Composites & Adhesives Research Department
The Composites and Coatings Research department is recognised as one of the leading establishments in Iran, for providing industry with access to a unique combination of scientific and engineering skills.
It is the understanding of polymer matrix composite materials in practice and the ability to respond to commercial reality, which have led to the department providing increasing levels of support to industries throughout Iran.
The composite department has been given three major objectives:
· To conduct long-term research into polymer composite materials
· To provide services to industry and carry out short-term contracts
· To educate and train engineers and scientists
The major commitment is with design and manufacture of engineering products and the current research activities include:
· Experimental and numerical study of Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM) and pultrusion process variables
· Design and development of composites with high energy absorption capacity
· Manufacture of FRP Rebars
· Joining of polymer composites
· Moulding compounds (moulding powders, BMC and SMC)
· Mechanical Properties and Durability of FRP Reinforced Concrete
· Natural fiber Reinforced Composites
· Sandwich Structures
· Manufacture of Composite Profiles by Pultrusion
People In the Department:
Esfandeh, Masoud (Ph.D.) (Head of Department)
Beheshty, Mohammad Hosein (Ph.D.)
Hashemi, Seyed Ali (Ph.D.)
Rahimi, Hamid (Ph.D.)
Alavi, Seyed Mohammad Bagher (M.Sc.)
Rezadoust, Amir Masoud (M.Sc.)
Sabet, Seyed Alireza (M.Sc.)
Salimi, Ali (M.Sc.)
Khatibi, Morad Ali (M.Sc.)
Razi, Sahraeian (M.Sc.)
Current Research Projects:
Design and Construction of FRP Re-bar Manufacturing Machine Via Pultrusion and Filament Winding.
Manufacture of Jute-Reinforced composites by Pultrusion.
Strengthening of Structure Using Advanced Composite Materials.
Design and Manufacture of a Resin Transfer Moulding System and Study of Variable Parameters.
Interfacial Studies of Coupling Agents in Wood Thermoplastic Composite.
Manufacture of Fiber Reinforced Polyester Rods by Pultrusion Process.
Evaluation of the Design and Manufacture of CNG4 Composite Cylinders.
Investigation of the Mechanical Properties and Durability of FRP Reinforced Concrete.
Completed Research Projects:
A Feasibility Study on Fabrication of A Composite Assembly
A Study and Development of Honeycomb Composite Structures
Acid and Etch Resistant Paints for PCB
Adhesive Coat on Copper Foil
An Experimental and Numerical Study of RTM Process Variables
An Investigation into Curing Conditions of Carbon Fibers/Epoxy-Novolac Systems
Construction of Seamless High Strength Tubes by Extrusion Using Rotating Die
Design Consideration and Construction of Pultrusion Machine
Design and Construction of a Pultrusion Machine.
Development of Know How for Producing Passenger Car Antenna Made from Composites
Energy Absorption of Foam Filled Composite Tubes
Evaluation and Fabrication of Bullet Proof Composites
Evaluation of Process Variables in Filament Windings
Evaluation of Rheological Characteristics of Polymers with High Filler Contents
Evaluation of Surface Coating Systems for Resin Transfer Moulded (RTM) Parts
Formulation of the Carbon Paper Ink
Investigation on the Synthesis and Kinetic Study of Fluoran Leuco Dyes for Use in Carbonless Copy Paper
Mechanisms of Adhesion and Disbonding of Powder Coated Aluminium.
Optimisation of Processing Conditions for Blending PET with Polyolefins
Phenolic - NBR Ebonite Foam
Preparation and Characterisation of Dental Modelling Waxes
Preparation and Characterisation of Glass Reinforced Phenol Formaldehyde Systems
Preparation of Microcapsuls Containing Perphenazine and Polymeric Drug Delivery Systems Based on Acryloyl Chloride and Investigation of Release Rate
Preparation of Powder Coating an Investigation of Their Properties to Their Application
Preparation of Short Fiber Reinforced Phenolic Prepregs
Preparation of White Master Batch for Polyethylene
Processing of ABS with Special Pigment
Property Consideration and Optimisation of Printing Formulation on Packaging in Flexographic and Rotogravure Methods
Short Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene
Solder Resistant Paints for PCB
Special Die Design for Production of High Performance Pipes
Treatment of High Silica for Compatibilizaion of Epoxy Resin for Manufacturing of High voltage Insulators
The Compounding of Phenolic - NBR Foams as a Heat Insulator
Design and Fibrication of Honycomb Sandwich Panels for Building Applications
Manufacture of Pultruded Rod for Electrical Applications
Preparation of Toughened Unsaturated Polyester (UP) Resin for Industrial Applications
The composites department offers a unique combination of resources to industry. A comprehensive set of advanced testing and analysis equipment is complemented by human resources with a unique set of combined skills.
Conventional and vacuum ovens
Compression moulds for moulding compounds
Electronic Data Logging System
Grinding equipments (Jet mill, Pin mill, Perl mill)
Pultrusion machine (in-house designed)
Resin injection and gel-coat spray equipments
Rockwell Hardness Tester
Various Engineering Software
16.Corona Discharge Equipment
17.HYPA Ject MKIII and RTM Development Package
1. Beheshty MH, Afzali SK and Naderi G., “Effect of Aditives Resin on the Properties of Nitril Elastomers”, The Proceedings of Fifth National Conference of Rubber, 20-21 Feb., 2002, 136-143.
2. Nasiri H, Beheshty MH, and Alavi SMB, The Effect of Initiator on Cure Behaviour of Unsaturated Polyester Resin, The Proceeding of seventh national Conference of Chemical Engineering, 28-31 October 2002, Tehran University, Vol. 6, 67-72.
3. Khatibi MA, Beheshty MH and Morshedian J, “The Effect of Glass-Fiber on the Properties of Melamine-Formaldehyde Moulding Compounds”, Iranian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology (Persian edition), 14, No.4, 2001, pp 213-219.
4. Beheshty MH, Afzali SK and Naderi G., “The Compounding of Phenolic Nitrile Blends: I- Effect of Phenolic Resin”, Iranian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology (Persian edition), 14, No.5, 2002, pp 309-315.
5. Beheshty MH, Afzali SK and Naderi G., “The Compounding of Phenolic Nitrile Blends: II- Effect of Nitrile Elastomer Type”, Iranian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology (Persian edition), 14, No.5, 2002, pp 317-322.
6. Beheshty MH, Naderi G, and Delbari H., “Cure Cycle Optimization of a Phenolic – Nitrile foam”, Tahghigh, Vol. 12, No. 43, 2002, pp 27-33.
7. Mohseni Lavi R., Kokabi M. and Beheshty MH, “Thermal Degredation Kinetics of Phenolic Resins used in Ablative Heat Shiled”, Iranian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology (Persian edition), 15, No.4, 2002, pp 245-250.
8. Rezadoust A. M. and Esfandeh M, “Evaluation of Two-Roll Mill Method for Preparing Short Glass Fibre Reinforced NBR-Phenolic Composites”, Polymer & Polymer Composites, Vol. 9, No. 6, 2001, pp. 403-408.
9. Esfandeh M., Rezadoust A. M., Alavi S. M. B. and Sabet A, “Investigation of Factors Effecting the Surface Quality of Pultruded Profiles”, Iranian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology (Persian edition), 15, No.4, 2002, pp 229-235.
10. Rezadoust A. M. and Esfandeh M, “Investigation of Fiber Length Variations in Preparing Glass Fiber Reinforced NBR-Phenolic Ablatives”, The Proceedings of the 4th Aerospace Conference, 25-27 January 2003, pp. 289-294, Tehran Iran.
11. Esfandeh M., Ebrahimi M. R. and Hashemi S. A., “Polycaprolactone - Modified Unsaturated Polyester Resin Used for the Manufacture of Sheet Moulding Compound (SMC)” The Proceedings of Asia/Australia PPS 2002 Conference, 4-8 November 2002, Taipei, Taiwan.
12. Rezadoust A. M. and Esfandeh M, “Selection of Flame Retardants for Rubber Ablatives”, The Proceedings of seventh national Conference of Chemical Engineering, 28-31 October 2002, Tehran University, Vol. 7.
13. Rahimi H. and Hutchinson A., “ Concrete Beams Strengthened with Externally Bonded FRP Plates”, ASCE, Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 44-56, 2001.