| Biomaterials Research Department
The biomaterials research department is a leading group in biomaterials in Iran. The main present fields of research at biomaterial department are focused on morphological studies of the polymer surfaces, analysis of polymer blends and copolymers as well as polymeric biomaterials design and manufacturing.
Laser induced surface modification of polymers to improve biocompatibility is one of the main current activities in this department.
Our main research activities includes biocompatibility evaluation of polymeric biomaterials using in-vivo and in-vitro assays via implantation and cell culture techniques and applying FT-IR, ATR-FT-IR, UV-visible laser beam, X-ray diffraction measurements, electron spectroscopy for chemical analysis (ESCA), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy dispersive X-ray analysis and dynamic mechanical thermal analysis (DMTA), and electro kinetic analyzer (EKA) for zeta potential measurement, and surface tensiometry to characterize the bulk and surface properties of the biomaterials.
The other activities are development of novel techniques for creating blood compatible materials as well as laser-induced copolymerization of acrylated monomers onto the surface of polymers to achieve the new biomaterials generation. Also designing a special artificial skin using polymers and laser beam and, a biopolymer-biomaterial adhesive for prevention of the blood oozing are the two recent achievements at biomaterial department.
People in the Department:
1. Mirzadeh, Hamid (Ph.D.); Head of IPPI
2. Khorasani, Mohammad Taghi (Ph.D.); Head of Department
3. Shamshiri, Morteza (DVM-MPH-VPH)
4. Arabi, Hassan (Ph.D.)
5. Amanpour, Saeid (DVM-Ph.D.)
6. Barzin, Jalal , (M.Sc.)
7. Daliri, Morteza (Ph.D.)
8. Fallahi, Delaram (M.Sc.)
9. Mohammadi, yosef (M.Sc.)
10. Sadatnia, Behrouz (M.Sc.)
11. Yaghobi, Nakisa (M.Sc.)
12 .Zandi, Mojgan (M.Sc.)
I. General Lab.
The main activities of this laboratory include synthesis of novel biomaterials, processing, prototyping and modification of bulk and surface properties by chemicals, radiation and analysing and determination of these products. Meanwhile, in collaboration with different universities, research centers and industries, joint projects or post-graduate dissertation researches are currently performed.
1- Contact angle measuring system G10:
This instrument is a flexible measuring instrument for the determination of contact angles for a wide range of samples. The contact angle of a sessile drop on a solid surface is measured.
· Measurement of contact angles of single drops of test liquids on a solid surface.
· Measurement of advancing and receding contact angles by volume control of sample drop.
· Determination of the surface free energy of solid samples with several calculation methods.
· Determination of surface and interfacial tension of liquids with the drop shape analysis (pendent drop method).
2- Processor tensiometer K12:
· Surface and interfacial tension measurement of liquids by the ring and plate methods.
· Online contact angle measurement by the Wilhelmy plate method as well as the determination of sorption and the wetted length.
· Determination of the critical micelle (formation) concentration.
· Surface energy determination.
· Sedimentation of suspensions and penetration into already sedimented solids measurements.
· Determination of the density of liquids.
3- Contalab computer-controlled laboratory reactor:
This is a reactor for daily use in chemical research and development laboratories as well as pure biomaterial preparing.
The following basic operations are available:
· Internal temperature control
· Jacket temperature control
· Heat to boiling point, time dependent addition, temperature dependent addition, change pH during reaction, vacuum or purging inert gas control during reaction.
4- Friction measuring apparatus:
This apparatus determines the coefficients of static and kinetic friction of plastic films, paper and similar materials by measuring the force required to draw a moving sled over a stationary horizontal plane at a prescribed constant speed. It is designed to conform with BS 2782 method 311A, ASTM D1894-78, DIN 53 375 and other international standards.
5- Surface and volume resistivity apparatus:
This apparatus determines the electrical volume and surface resistivity of vulcanized rubbers and plastics. The resistivity is measured from the current flowing through the material when a voltage is applied between two electrodes on the surface or opposite faces of a sheet. It is designed to conform with BS 230A and 231A.
6- Electro Kinetic Analyzer (EKA):
The EKA operates according to the principles of streaming potential and streaming current. An electrolyte solution flows through the measuring cell containing the sample to be measured. Depending on the flow resistance of the sample (capillary bundle) a pressure drop is detected across the measuring cell. The measured values of Δp (pressure drop across the cell) and ΔU (voltage difference) serve to determine the zeta potential.
7- Plasma instrument:
Emitech solid state system is a tabletop plasma chemistry reactor designed to provide the scientific, educational and microelectronic community with plasma technology. All controls are automatic. The plasma process is accomplished through the use of a low pressure, RF induced gaseous discharge.
8- Mixing mill:
The open two-roll mill for rubber mixing and blending of base materials for production of biomaterial samples.
The rubber extruder has been designed for self feeding and more effective mixing in the manufacturing process of biomaterial products such as blood shunt.
10- Molding Press:
This instrument is used for production of biomaterial components such as silicone O-ring and so on.
11- Laser instruments:
There are 7 lines of laser beams in the range of infrared, visible and ultraviolet, which have been used as excitation source for polymer surface treatments.
These instruments belong to Laser Research Center of Iran and are used by the Biomaterials Department of IPI.
II. In-vitro Lab.
This is a well equipped laboratory under clean air condition and sterile zone for cell and tissue culture methods and invitro testing of biomaterials (e.g. natural or synthetic polymeric biomaterials) produced in Iran Polymer Institute. All polymeric biomaterials for medical applications are testing in this laboratory, including cell culture cytotoxicity, cell culture and blood compatibility, sterility, safety and etc.
Different cells and cell culture media, reagents, supplemented materials, flasks and other facilities are available for using in different methods of cell culture. Daily watching, reculturing and passage keep the cells at appropriate condition and freezing the cells for keeping at -196 °C in liquid nitrogen. Laminar airflow, top bench centrifuge, inverted microscope, CO2 incubator, autoclave, oven and sterile filtration system are available in this laboratory. Tissue engineering method is the current topic research project of the lab.
III. In-vivo Lab.
Polymers that are candidate for implantation in animals are tested on laboratory animals (rodents, rabbit, sheep and others) to study the polymer and body interactions. Surgical facilities and animal care rooms are available in this lab.
Current Research Projects:
1. Design and Production of Heart's Pericardium Membrane
2. Design and Production of a Blood Compatible Polymeric Biomaterial Blend
3. Design and Production of Artificial Cartilage
4. Design and Production of Artificial Vascular Grafts
5. Design and Production of Medical Adhesive to Stop Severe Bleeding
6. Field of Tissue Engineering for Tissue Regeneration Using Different Polymers
7. Grafting of Hydrogels on Polymers by Laser for Biocompatibility and Blood Compatibility
8. Peptide Immobilization onto Laser-Irradiated Polymer Films to Improve Blood Compatibility
9. Preparation of Chitin and Chitosan from Persian Gulf Shrimp's Shell
10. Production of Tubules for Blood Dialysis Equipment
11. Production of Wound Dressings
12. Pyrocarbon Pilot Plant for Medical Purposes
13. Production of heart valve
14. production of blood warmer
15. Zeta potential measurement of grafted polyurethane as blood compatibility factor.
16. Production of polyhydroxy alkanoates from microorganisms.
Completed Research Projects:
1. Blood Compatibility Evaluation of PAAm-PDMS Blend and the Laser Grafted PAAm onto PDMS Surface
2. Characterisation, Formulation and Mould Design for Production of Insulin Injector
3. CO2 - Pulsed Laser Induced Surface Grafting of Acrylic Acid on Ethylene Propylene Rubber as Surface Hydrophilic Materials
4. Development of Composition for Polymer Cryoaccumulators for Thermostable Conditions of Storing and Transporting of Medico-biological Objects
5. Development of Composition for Soft Polymer Cryoaccumulators for Surgery Applications
6. In-Vivo Study of Acrylate Grafted PDMS of Skin Application
7. Laser Grafting of EPR as Biomaterials
8. Laser Grafting of PET as Biocompatible Materials
9. Producing Microcapsules that Contain Essence of Orange and Evaluating Some Parameters that Affect it
10. Study, Mould Design and Production of Silicone O-Ring for Sealing of Dialyser Filter
11. Surface Modification of PDMS by CO2 - Pulsed Laser for Biomaterial Uses
12. Synthesis, Characterisation and Release Studies of Polymers Containing Pendawt Pesticides
13. UHMWPE and Silicone Rubber Composite as a shock Absorber Cup of the Hip Prosthesis, Manufacturing and Characterisation
14. Design and Production of Blood Dialysis O-Ring Filter
15. Design and Production of Cryogenic Hydrogels Used in Cold Operational Surgeries and Maintaining the Fresh Cells and Tissues
16. Design and Production of Eye Valve for Glaucoma Treatment
17. Production of Insulin Syringe Stopper
18. Production of Solid Multipurpose Ultrasonic Coupler